Tuesday, May 03, 2011

THE IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE.




Can You Take A Picture of Love? Photography is based on simple scientific principles. It has nothing to do with anything but physical phenomenon. Love is not a physical phenomenon and, although I have tried to formulate a physical definition based on things I learned from my chemistry and biology courses, any definition I could come up with is woefully inadequate. There is no adequate definition to describe love as a physical phenomenon but I know what it is when I see it. Look at the picture above. You might describe the photograph as one of a beautiful young mother and her new born daughter. A very poor description. It is a picture of love. One that tells us what really matters in this life.

I Was Brought Up To Believe You Have To Fight For What You Get. I was born into poverty but I was blessed with parents who encouraged me to roll up my sleeves and work to achieve my goals. I was born into a country that provided me with ample opportunity to do so. Social Security records show I started working at age 13 and have worked every year since although some of you might not define what I do now as work. I am now 73 and I realize that much of what I have worked for is valueless. I can't take it with me when I leave this world and wouldn't want to if I could.

So What Do I Own Worth Taking With Me. With the exception of a few guitars, nothing I can pack up and take from place to place. The answer lies in the picture above. It's relationships and the love that goes with them. I still spend time with people I knew in childhood. During the past two years, I have met people online and formed relationships that I value highly. I have seen posts on facebook that shows the high value certain others place on love. I suppose it is idealistic to wish we could form an entire world society based on love, but you can form a series of core relationships based on love and mutual respect. These will serve you well throughout your life.

I Am A Bit Embarrassed. Some of you may find this to be a bit hokey. I admit I find it a bit that way myself. Still, I find it boring to always be talking about money when there are so many more important things. I will probably be in Colorado soon. Send me an e-mail or call my cell phone (303-902-3940) if you want to get together.

2 comments:

  1. Your words are so full of such wisdom and truth from your heart and soul. God has truly blessed you and anyone that is a part of your life is blessed also, Phil. Hug Ms. Betty for me and ya'll have a wonderful night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words of wisdom and love come straight from your heart and soul, Phil. God has truly blessed you with a way with words to touch other hearts and souls. I am sure in your lifetime that you and Ms. Betty have blessed so many as well as being blessed. I am honored to have crossed paths with you and I want to thank you for sharing your life with me.

    ReplyDelete