Sunday, October 17, 2010

THE VALUE OF AN EDUCATION



Memoir From 1960. I'm sitting in a first-class seat on a United DC-7, wearing slacks, my only white shirt, one of my Dad's ties, and a sport coat I got for Christmas when I was in the 8th grade. I am traveling to Wilmington, Delaware to interview for a job at DuPont, the company that promises "Better Things For Better Living....Through Chemistry." I can't believe I'm about to graduate from college with a degree in chemistry and DuPont wants to hire me so bad that they are willing to fly me first class to Delaware for an interview. I'll never forget the flight attendant (they called them stewardesses in those days) who comes up to our seat and asks us what we want to drink. I don't have a clue so I follow the lead of the grey haired man in the next seat and order a scotch and soda. The first taste almost leaves me in need of the "barf bag" in the seat pocket in front of me. Despite the initial shock, I manage to down two drinks and feel like it doesn't matter how long it takes to fly from Denver to Wilmington.



The details of the next day are not important. What is important is at the end of that day when I sit in front of the massive desk of the research director and he offers me a job at a salary that is more than my dad had ever earned. While I am trying to swallow, he tells me that I can expect to double that within five years. Here I am, 22 years old, and that day represents the high point of my career as a research chemist. It was all down hill from there. I did double my salary in five years but I expected that. I found out that what I thought was a huge salary didn't buy nearly what I thought it would and the necessity of going to work on a regular schedule was highly restrictive to my freedom. Even though those were "the good old days," they still didn't meet the expectations of a young man coming out of poverty who had expectations that a college degree was the key to the American dream.



Fast-Forward Fifty Years. I recently heard some statistics that 80% of college seniors expect to move back in with their parents after they graduate. This is up from 67% four years ago. I am not sure I believe that these are exact numbers but my experience tells me that far more young people are entering college these days and graduating into far less opportunity with each passing year. Way too many of my friends and clients still have the responsibility of providing food and shelter for adult offspring. Often, these are not young adults. Some are in their late 40's. You might ask, what is the reason for this? Although I have some ideas, I can't claim to know what the answer is....but I know what it isn't. It isn't depending on the government to solve the problem. Each of us has a unique set of problems that require unique solutions. It is up to us to help our children determine their educational and career path. I have been far more lucky than smart in this area but I know that failure to make the right decisions in this area can make life far more difficult for both parents and kids. The government can't solve all our problems and we need to take responsibility for ourselves. Could part of our recent economic problems lie with those who have come to look towards the government to care for us rather than go out and work to solve our own problems. History has shown us that American ingenuity resulted in products and strategies that have put us ahead of the rest of the world. Many of these solutions didn't come from brilliant ideas but from hard work and grinding out results. The efforts of entrepreneurs like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs have resulted in an improved quality of life and higher productivity for all of us. They had the initiative and drive to accomplish great things and neither had government grants or affirmative action to help them get an education.

Speaking Of Solutions. I promised to keep you informed of my progress towards controlling diabetes. My theory is that dietary control and weight management will provide the solutions I seek. In that regard, my weight has dropped from 173+ to 168 in the course of a week. Periodic blood sugar checks indicate that I am doing about as well without three insulin injections a day as I did when I was taking these shots. At this point I am still taking 50 units of time release injections at night. So far, the biggest problem with blood sugar control has been hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) episodes at night. The journey has only begun. I'll let you know of my progress, if any, next week.

1 comment:

  1. You are an amazing writer! You should be very proud of your achievements! I foresee many more to come! I had a dream last night that Paul Newman was looking into Heather's story. He said..'What the hell have they done?' In the dream, I was telling him to say hello to his wife,Joann. And immediately I knew that the man was not Paul Newman at all, but a man named Phil Storms that has come into my life. I have a feeling when you see the composite sketch and the driver's license, your words will be the same as Paul Newman's. We shall see! (very soon,hopefully).

    ReplyDelete