Thursday, July 05, 2012

Goodbye Old Friend.




                                                      Crepe Myrtle  Blooms All Summer

I Am Saddened Today.  A few days ago, I heard of the death of an old friend.  His name was Griff and we knew each other in high school.  Griff wasn't the valedictorian nor a star athlete.  He was just one of those guys who was always there and I was glad he was.  He didn't drive a fancy car.  I always remember an old Nash, the kind that looked like an upside down bath tub.  It might not have been his, could have belonged to his parents, but Griff knew how to take advantage of its main feature, the ability to hug the road in sharp corners.  That made it perfect for a game we used to play called "Ditch Em".  It was a game where you took turns determining which driver could get away from the other.  I had a little 1940 Mercury club coupe with a flat head V-8, a really fast little car if you could hold it on the road.  Griff knew that, if he could taunt me into a game of ditch-em, he would always win.  He could make sharp turns with little trouble while I was lucky if I didn't swap ends with the Merc and end up going the wrong way.  Before I could get it turned around, Griff and his Nash would be nearing the next corner.  

Griff's Personality Was Anything but Flashy.  But we all liked him.  He had a smile for all he met and was always willing to sit down and have a conversation over a coke.  He didn't participate in any of the petty feuds and you would always know he wasn't going to talk about you when your back was turned.  I never saw much of him during high school or afterwards but I always knew he was there.  What is it about guys like Griff?  Quiet, soft spoken, never said anything bad about anyone but you knew he was there and you felt like you could always depend on him to be your friend if you needed one.  

The Last Time I Saw Him Was At Bandimere Speedway.  This was a get-together hosted by another old high school friend, Johnny Bandimere.  It was two years ago.  He was alone at a table and I sat down to visit with him and catch up with what he had been doing for the last 50 years.  We talked about business, kids, grandkids, and a bit of politics.  He had a really sad look about him and I was somewhat uncomfortable asking about his health.  I did anyway and he told me he was recently diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.  Obviously, this was nothing to take lightly but I knew there were some new drugs that helped a lot of people tremendously.  I asked if these helped and he replied, "not really."  After an awkward silence, he said, "I have Alzheimer's too."  This was the first time I had heard anyone say that they have "Alzheimer's."  Usually by the time it is diagnosed, the patient is too confused to talk about it.  We continued to discuss the issues that concerned us and then got up for lunch.  That was the last time I saw him.  I wanted to give him a hug but men seldom hug, Especially men who grew up in the 50's.  

I Will Miss Knowing He's Here.  I won't say I will miss seeing him because I hardly ever saw him but the world was a better place because of men like Griff.  My life was better for knowing him and I am saddened because of his passing.  RIP Griff Murray 1937-2012.   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment