Friday, September 16, 2011

TEN THINGS I'VE LEARNED ON FACEBOOK.

Many Think It Is a Waste of Time. I must admit, I was one who thought it fell into The Get A Life category. Maybe it is a bit of a time waster but I've learned a number of things that, taken together, have made a significant change in my life. Here, in no particular order, are ten of them.

1, Facebook is Not Just For The Younger Generation. Our kids and grandchildren may use them for flirting and gossiping with their friends which doesn't mean as much to most of the older among us but the older generation may have an even greater need to stay in touch with the outside world. Neuroscientists have learned that the aging brain is capable of learning new things that can keep it biologically and psychologically healthy instead of unavoidably deteriorating as we grow older. One of the most important factors in the health of the aging brain is social contact with others. As elders find it more and more inconvenient to leave the home environment, Facebo0k can be a valuable resource in avoiding elderly decline.

2. People You Found Interesting Fifty Years Ago Are Still Interesting Now. I ran across a friend from 50 years ago, John, whom I haven't seen since high school. We had a few common interests together back then and enjoyed spending time together. Even though we went somewhat different directions after high school, we met on Facebook and now have totally different interests but we still connect on many different levels. My relationship with John has added numerous benefits to my life.

3. Blood Bonds Are Extremely Important. I ran across a cousin, Marlene and her husband, Clarence on Facebook last spring. She came from a very religions family and I did not and we had virtually no reason to meet again since we last visited over 60 years ago. It also turned out that her husband Clarence and I had never met but he and I were also cousins through a different branch. Our visits together have been high points and have added immensly to my life in the past year.

4. You Have An Opportunity To Meet People You Might Not Have Met Otherwise. The other day, I met with Josh, a 23-year old veteran of combat in Iraq and Afghaniston. We met on Facebook and decided to have lunch together so I could have a chance to become more knowledgable on what our young men go through over there. He was very willing to share, even some things he found uncomfortable to recall. I came away more knowledgable and even more appreciative of those young men who put their lives on in our behalf.

5. People Are Often Willing To Share Some Intimate Details With Others. Kim started to work in our company when she was 19. She was a brash young lady and knew virtually nothing about our business. She became a huge asset to us in a hurry but I have rarely seen her since she left us over twenty years ago. When we became friends on facebook, I had a chance to follow her through a period of unemployment, a serious injury to her daughter, motorcycle trips across country, and some of her political views. Her frankness and "what you see is what you get" attitude leaves it even more like she's my daughter than she was 20 years ago.

6. You Even Get To Know Family Members Better. My brother married his wife 35 years ago. Even though I saw her on holidays, weddings, and other family events, most of our time at those events I spent with my brother and his two sons. Since we met on facebook, I have learned of her immense admiration for plants and animals around her mountain home and of her relationship with with God which forms a central part of her life.

7. Genuine Love can Exist Between People Who Have Never Met. I have observed this between long-time online friends. I had considerable doubt that this could happen but my observations of some of the interactions have convinced me that this is true. I guess I am now convinced that love can take many different forms and everything we thought to be true may not be.

8. What Can Appear to Be Genuine Love Can Be A Fantasy. I read about a chat room relationship between a male named "Marine Sniper" and a female labeled "Tall Hot Blonde." They both sent very appealing snapshots of themselves and they talked extensively on the telephone, even engaging in phone sex, whatever the hell that is. A third young man also became involved causing lots of jealously. In the final analysis this third man was the only real one of the bunch. Unfortunately, he was killed by "Marine Sniper" who turned out to be 46 years old. His picture was genuine but taken 23 years ago. When police talked to "Tall Hot Blonde" they found out she was 45 years old, married and mother to the young lady in the bikini photo that she claimed was herself. Which brings me to item 9.

9. In Addition To Love, Genuine Hostility Can Form. The previous example illustrates this. In less serious case, I posted a joke (not a dirty one nor hostile one) on an online friend's page. One of her older friends, who obviously did not understand the joke, replied saying that I wouldn't have made that reply if I "knew the lord." Later she replied and she said she didn't understand what I meant but she didn't appreciate it and dropped me as a facebook friend. If she didn't understand the joke, why did she not appreciate it. Again I should emphasize that the joke wasn't dirty, hostile and didn't contain any hostile innuindos. I still don't understand what anyone found offensive but I decided it wasn't worth pursuing.

10. Facebook Can Be A Place to Showcase Your Talent. One of my friends, Sue paints beautiful pictures of horses that show an amazing facility for the use of color. She takes pictures of the paintings and puts these on Facebook. I don't know if her pictures are an economic success but there is no doubt that she is a talented artist.

This Post Represents a Departure from my Original Subjects. Your feedback is appreciated.

1 comment:

  1. Phil, I love this. Sometimes I wonder why I spend time with social networking... then other times, I've had a really long day with no one to tell about it. So I get on the computer... and get to "converse" with friends this way.

    I love your insights... in fact, I've learned a lot more about you on FB. But still love playing guitars together best. Have fun!
    su

    ReplyDelete