Tuesday, September 28, 2010

MY NEW RULE FOR REAL ESTATE INVESTING

An Interruption It's a cool Sunday evening. I am on my patio at our Colorado townhouse getting ready to grill a couple of steaks. Virtually out of nowhere a man appears and asks, "Are you Phillip Storms?" When I say yes, he hands me a document which I immediately recognize as a summons. I tell him thank you and he leaves. While this is somewhat of a surprise, it isn't totally unexpected. The homeowners association of a condominium I own has filed suit to collect $2,000 that they say I owe. Since I am a member of this association, in effect, I am suing myself. Without going into detail, there is little doubt in my mind that this suit is totally without merit. Since 2006, when I acquired this unit as as a foreclosure from a friend (or should I say a former friend) to whom I loaned money, I have been paying over $400 a month in HOA dues. This is an astronomical price for a 2-bedroom, 2-bath, 1025 sq foot unit and you might think that this is a luxury unit with many amenities. Not so. The units are run down, the clubhouse/pool is one that you wouldn't want your family to use and landscaping is barely maintained. The only saving grace is the location, a few blocks from light rail and in a relatively popular area of town.

How Did This Situation Occur? The short answer is mis-management by the homeowner association and, again, it is not necessary to go into detail. A major advantage of real estate investing is that you have a fair amount of control over the outcome of your investment. You can decide what improvements you might make to increase the rental income available from the property; you can decide the proper rent levels to maximize occupancy and increase cash flow; and you can decide; what steps you can take to increase the value. If you buy AT&T stock you can only hope and pray that CEO, Randall Stephenson earns his $7.3 million salary and makes the right decisions to maximize cash flow and share value. Not the case with real estate, you are not only an investor, you are CEO of your own company. If you own within a homeowner association, you give up most of this control to a group with many members who have no clue as to how to manage and maintain properties for maximum liveability and sustained property value. Your ability to control the destiny of your property stops when you walk out the front door.

How Could This Situation Have Been Prevented. I broke one of my existing rules when I made the loan on this property. That rule was to make loans only on properties I would buy at a price equal to the amount of the loan. When I made this loan, I really didn't want to own the property. Instead, I depended on the ability of the borrower to make the right decisions to maintain the value of the property and protect my investment. This has never been a good policy for me. The second rule is a new one. Do not make loans or acquire properties with homeowner associations who make most of the decisions affecting the value of your property.

Perhaps This Sounds A Bit Extreme. You may have notice that the title of this post is My Rules For Real Estate Investing. This doesn't mean that they should be your rules. In almost 5 years of publishing this blog, this is probably the first time I have described one of my investments that turned out to be a disaster. I am embarrassed to describe this folly to you but I think the ability to think about what could go wrong with an investment is often more important than the ability to think about what can go right. I recall one quote that I included in a previous post that said, "The ability to manage the unintended consequence of an unsuccessful investment is one of the most important abilities an investor can have." If you are thinking about making a real estate investment that has a homeowners association be sure to thoroughly investigate that association and decide what additional risks the HOA might impose. If you are like me, you will probably decline the investment.

1 comment:

  1. it's amazing what some HOA's can get away with. we ran into many problems with the HOA of the Bryan rental house of Jay & Edie's. I even had to get the Bryan Police Dept involved to solve some problems. We had thought about owning the house our selves but with each month that went by dealing with the HOA rep's we quickly knew it would not be right for us though it would have been a great rental investment for our portfolio. we are wiser now.

    ReplyDelete