Monday, September 07, 2009

LABOR DAY REFLECTIONS.


"In England, a coal miner's son will almost certainly grow up to be a coal miner, In America, he can be anything he wants". Rick Bragg.

In Case You Don't Know..... Rick Bragg is a Pulitzer Prize winning author with several best selling novels to his credit. He writes about growing up poor in Alabama. The reason the quote meant so much to me is that, if you look at my birth certificate, my father's occupation is listed as a coal miner. I am a perfect example of that boy who grew up to be "anything he wants." Unlike some folks who might be ashamed of a blue collar background, I am proud of it.

It's Not That I Claim A Lot Of Credit For Coming Out Of Poverty. Most of that credit belongs to others. I remember my grandparents saying, "That boy is smart. He won't have to work for wages like the rest of us have." I remember my mom saying, "I want my boy to grow up like those self confident college boys I wait on at Paul's Diner". Then there is my dad who didn't say much but made sure I knew what it was like to work six days a week for a pittance. He always let me know that wasn't what he wanted for me. Growing up in a loving family is a better legacy than money any day.

I Can't Leave Out The Privilege Of Living In The Land Of Opportunity. We had great schools. There were 32 of us who graduated from ""Fruitdale School" (Better not laugh). It was a 55-year old building with only two restrooms and no gymnasium. We played basketball on an asphalt court, sometimes covered with packed snow but somehow we managed to beat a number of schools with modern gyms and locker rooms. We had great teachers who sacrificed much to teach a bunch of unruly kids. I still remember much from some of the books we were forced to read and poetry we were forced to memorize.

What About Colleges? In Colorado, state schools were forced to admit anyone who graduated from high school in the top 75% of their class. This year my grandson was not admitted to the University of Texas because he was slightly below the top 10%. He is ten times the student I was. Tuition was dirt cheap, even relative to the lower wages of that day. I'm not sure I could make it as an undergraduate in today's competitive environment.

How Fortunate I am. Yesterday, I spent several hours on the dock in my back yard, watching my grandson catch fish. Sixty years ago, if someone had told me, an 11 year old boy just starting to work summers in Mr. Montgomery's celery field, that I would be living this way in 2009, I would have been filled with joy. There is no reason I shouldn't feel that way today.

Back To Talking About Money. Please excuse the musings of a sentimental old coot. I promise to get back to the subject of personal finance next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment