Thursday, January 29, 2009

MISCELLANEOUS COMMENTARY

I was saddened to read of a 93 year old man who froze to death in Michigan because the utility company shut off the power to his house. Like 87% of those who answered the AOL poll, I believe that the utility company was wrong in taking this action. The next thing that comes to mind is why didn’t the neighbors do something. In another AOL poll, 63% said they check on others in their neighborhood that might be in need of occasional assistance.

This tragedy can be viewed from another angle. Did the deceased have any responsibility? It seems likely that he did. There are numerous options available for those who can’t pay their utilities. Utility companies have entire departments devoted to setting up payment plans for those who are unable to pay. There are social service agencies available to help and they would surely have provided assistance in this case. It is likely that the deceased was trying to maintain his independence when he was no longer capable of doing so. I have seen numerous examples of this. It is unrealistic to expect neighbors and family members who may live considerable distances away to take responsibility for our care. I have had two circumstances when I was able to get elderly family members moved to more convenient locations in the nick of time.

I understand the desire to maintain our freedom and as a 70+ year old, I shudder at the prospect of losing mine. If that time comes, I only hope I have the presence of mind to do the right thing and not prevail on others to do what I no longer can do for myself.

A Different Sort of Post. I am trying something different. Sure, there are financial things to discuss, some of which could be construed as more political than financial (the so-called stimulus package). Unfortunately, it is sometimes difficult to separate the two since each one has a profound interest on the other. In my next post, I will get back to finance and such topics as managing your mortgage, paying off your house, and reverse mortgages.

Returning To Colorado For a few days in February. Not sure of the exact schedule but I will post it here as soon as I have made reservations. Send me an e-mail, call me in Texas, or call Susan if you would like to schedule an appointment.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:32 AM

    Hello !.
    might , probably very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
    There is no initial capital needed You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

    AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
    The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

    Its head office is in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
    Do you want to become really rich in short time?
    That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

    I`m happy and lucky, I began to get real money with the help of this company,
    and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a proper partner who uses your funds in a right way - that`s it!.
    I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
    It`s easy to join , just click this link http://uhahetyk.angelcities.com/nisuqepo.html
    and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:59 AM

    Hi !.
    You may , perhaps very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
    There is no need to invest much at first. You may start to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

    AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
    AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

    It is based in Panama with affiliates around the world.
    Do you want to become a happy investor?
    That`s your chance That`s what you desire!

    I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up income with the help of this company,
    and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to select a correct partner utilizes your money in a right way - that`s it!.
    I take now up to 2G every day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
    It`s easy to join , just click this link http://ymahikuxo.angelcities.com/ukyfak.html
    and lucky you`re! Let`s take this option together to get rid of nastiness of the life

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:18 AM

    Good day, sun shines!
    There have been times of hardship when I didn't know about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright stupid person.
    I have never thought that there weren't any need in big starting capital.
    Nowadays, I'm happy and lucky , I started to get real money.
    It gets down to select a correct partner who uses your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real deals, parts and divides the income with me.

    You may get interested, if there are such firms? I have to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
    http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

    ReplyDelete